Starting Your Career Young...


I have found that there are a lot of young entrepreneurs out there. And a lot of them are even younger and more successful than me, so hats off to you guys for all your hard work you truly deserve it. I have found that the younger you are when you start the less people take you seriously. I have experienced it and I am 21 years old. So I can only imagine what those younger than me are encountering. Here are some tips I have found that help people take you seriously no matter how old you are.

1.     Know your stuff. If you want to create apps. You should be checking the app charts everyday to see what types of apps are trending. You should be looking and learning how to code apps that are user friendly. You should understand the trends in the market. And most importantly you should know your app the best. All of this information is important to know so when you get into a room with people who already do this for a living you understand what they are saying, are able to respond, and can pitch your idea or product effectively.

2.     Be confident in what you know. At some point you are going to be in a room full of people who know exponentially more than you do; however, you must be confident in what you know. There is no better way to loose someone’s attention than to not be confident in your product or idea and your knowledge. I have seen it multiple times in person and on TV. If you watch the show Shark Tank you will know what I am talking about. I have seen people that I felt had good ideas not get investments on Shark Tank because they were not confident in their idea or product and what they know.

3.     Be confident in what you do not know. This sounds backwards I know, but let me explain. No one knows everything, even people who have been in the industry their entire life. If you do not know something say, “I am not sure as that is not an area I know a lot about; however, by the context I have received from this conversation this would be my best conclusion.” This shows that you are not arrogant enough to think you know everything, but humble enough to be wrong.

4.     Have a schedule. Set aside a set amount of time everyday where you are just working on nothing else but your product or business.

5.     Create a designated space. I work off of my laptop so I can work anywhere, which is great when I need to travel. However, it is important to have a designated workspace where you feel like you can really get things done. Before I would work while watching TV and I would get distracted and not be as productive. Since I have created a designated space to work I have been exponentially more productive.

6.     Be yourself. I think this last one is self-explanatory. I believe that if you stay true to who you are is the best way to get people to believe in you. There is nothing worse than seeing someone pretending to be something they are not. People can tell when you are not being genuine and they will be less inclined to take you seriously.

I hope these tips help you. I wish someone had shared this knowledge with me when I started. It would have saved me a lot of time and confusion.

Do you have any tips to add? Do you already use some of these tips? How do they help you?

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Designed By OddThemes | Distributed By Blogger Templates