Following Your Passion...


As kids we are always told we can be whatever we want to be when we grow up. We are told the sky is the limit when it comes to our dreams if we work hard enough for them. While I think we all should be allowed to chase our dreams no matter what they are I have noticed some career paths are supported more than others. Parents are all for their kids becoming lawyers or doctors but tend to steer them away from entrepreneurship or teaching. 

I have actually witnessed adults inadvertently discouraging kids who were being entrepreneurial. Two young kids came into my work and were selling candy bars. When I first saw them come in I was impressed because at their age it would be pretty intimidating to walk into a building with a bunch of adults to try and sell them something. I watched as they talked to people to see if they would like to buy a candy bar but no one was interested. I do not believe in handing out false senses of achievement but I was impressed with these kids as they refused to let a no deter them. I bought a couple candy bars from them because I wanted to encourage them to keep working hard and to keep going. After work I saw them further down the street continuing to try to sell their candy bars. They were absolutely hustling!

After this situation I started to wonder why people tend to promote being a doctor or a lawyer opposed to other careers that are not as stable. I have come to the conclusion that parents tend to promote safe careers to their children and unfortunately, I think that gets in the way of what they actually want to do in life. I understand parents want their kids to be taken care of but at what expense? Who is better off: an entrepreneur who created a business that sets his soul on fire and makes him $25,000 a year or the lawyer that bypassed their passion for the safe job making $125,000 a year but they are miserable? What is really better? You should go after what you really want in life regardless of what other people may think. Money is not the end all be all in this world. Yes, you need it to be able to live; however, you can determine the type of lifestyle you want to live. Everyone should be supported in what they decide is their passion in life regardless of whether or not it is deemed the “smart” decision or not.

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Designed By OddThemes | Distributed By Blogger Templates