Who are you fooling...


“You can fool the world, but you cannot fool the person in the mirror.” – James Murphey

Sometimes the simplest statements can have the most profound effect on you. This statement had that effect on me. After he made this statement I could not help but think about how true it is. Everyday we fool the people around us, sometimes it is intentional while other times it is subconsciously caused by our own insecurities. To a certain extent I feel we are conditioned to fool those around us by our environment. We all are pressured on a daily basis to exude this “perfect” life style. This is a mentality that takes a great deal of time and effort to change. I have found that even people who claim to be authentic often have insecurities they have not addressed that they choose to avoid or fool the people around them.

I do not claim to be a perfect human being. Everyday I wake up and try to be authentic to who I am. However, I am self-aware and I know that I still have my own insecurities. There are some days were I am okay with my insecurities but others were I am not and that is okay. I have found this to be the most important part, realizing, understanding, and excepting your insecurities and being okay with it. I think this is the first step to truly be comfortable in your own skin and let go of our insecurities. You first must admit and except your insecurities, which allows us to more effectively over come them.

At the end of the day you cannot fool yourself. You can fool those around you and they may never know the difference; however, you know everything. You cannot fool yourself, but people still try. I have always found it interesting how people will try and fool themselves into thinking they are happy with their situation instead of trying to change it. People do this in a variety of ways like turning to substances that alter your mental state or they will continually tell themselves they are happy until they believe it. This behavior often stems from the individuals own fears. It is extremely scary to make a change. Even if our lives are not what we want at least there is a certain level of comfort and familiarity with our situation. When you decide to make a major change that comfort and familiarity is gone and that is really scary, I know I have been there and gone through it. I still go through it on a regular basis because I do not want to become complacent due to my own fear. And for me it is much more terrifying to me to continue living a life I hate then to feel uncomfortable making a change.

It all comes down to the truth of this statement, you can fool those around you but you cannot fool yourself. But why would you want to fool anyone? If you need to deceive someone there is a bigger issue that needs to be addressed. I believe that your best option is to correct the issue instead of trying to cover it up. It certainly will not be easy and some days you will not succeed but you have to try if you truly want change.

What insecurities have you been avoiding? What can you do to try and over come these obstacles?

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Designed By OddThemes | Distributed By Blogger Templates